miércoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011

TOM WAITS: Blue Valentine (1978)




1. Somewhere (From "West Side Story")
2. Red Shoes By The Drugstore
3. Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
4. Romeo Is Bleeding
5. $29,00
6. Wrong Side Of The Road
7. Whistlin' Past The Graveyard
8. Kentucky Avenue
9. A Sweet Little Bullet From A Pretty Blue Gun
10. Blue Valentines




SOMEWHERE
Theres a place for us
Somewhere a place for us
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us somewhere

There's a time for us
Someday a time for us
Time together a time to spare
Time to learn and time to care

Someday somewhere
We'll find a new way of living
We'll find a way of forgiving
Somewhere

Theres a place for us
A time and a place for us
Hold my hand and we're halfway there
Hold my hand and I'll take you there

Somehow someday somewhere

RED SHOES BY THE DRUGSTORE
She wore red shoes by the newsstand
As the rain splashed the nickel
And spilled like chablis all along the midway
There’s a little bluejay
In a red dress on a sad night

One straw in a root beer
A compact with a cracked mirror
A bottle of evening in paris perfume
What's this sad tune

He told her to wait in by the magazines
To take care of business it seems
Bring a raincoat
Bring a suitcase
Bring your dark eyes
And wear those red shoes

Theres a dark huddle at the bus stop
Umbrellas arranged in a sad bouquet
Lil’ Caesar got caught
He was going down to second
He was cooled
Changing stations on the chamber
To steal a diamond ring
From a jewelry store for his baby
He loved the way she looked in those red shoes

She waited by the drugstore
Caesar had never been this late before
The dogs bayed the moon
And rattled their chain
And the cold jingle of taps in a puddle
Was the burglar alarm
Snitchin on Caesar

The rain washes memories from the sidewalks
And the hounds splash the nickel full of soldiers
And Santa Claus is drunk
In the ski room
And it's Christmas Eve
In a sad café
When the moon gets it's way
There's a little blue jay by the news-stand
Red shoes
Red shoes
So meet me tonight by the drugstore
Meet me tonight by the drugstore
Meet me tonight by the drugstore
Goin’ out tonight
Goin’ out tonight
Goin’ out tonight
Wear your red shoes
Red shoes
Red shoes
Red shoes
Red shoes

CHRISTMAS CARD FROM A HOOKER IN MINNEAPOLIS
Hey Charlie I'm pregnant and living on 9th Street
Right above a dirty bookstore of Euclid Avenue
And I stopped takin dope and I quit drinkin whiskey
And my old man plays the trombone and works out at the track

He says that he loves me even though it's not his baby
He says that he'll raise him up like he would his own son
And he gave me a ring that was worn by his mother
And he takes me out dancing every Saturday night

And hey Charlie I think about you everytime I pass a fillin station
On account of all the grease you used to wear in your hair
And I still have that record of Little Anthony and the Imperials
But someone stole my record player now how do you like that?

Hey Charlie I almost went crazy after Mario got busted
I went back to Omaha to live with my folks
But everyone I used to know was either dead or in prison
So I came back to Minneapolis this time I think I'm gonna stay

Hey Charlie I think I'm happy for the first time since my accident
And I wish I had all the money we used to spend on dope
I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of ‘em
I'd just drive a different car every day dependin’ on how I feel

Hey Charlie for chrissakes if you want to know the truth of it
I don't have a husband he don't play the trombone
I need to borrow money to pay this lawyer and Charlie hey
I'll be eligible for parole come Valentine's day

ROMEO IS BLEEDING
Romeo is bleeding but not so as you'd notice
He's over on 18th Street as usual
Looking so hard against the hood of his car
Puttin' out a cigarette in his hand
And for all the Pachucos at the pumps
At Romero's Paint and Body
They all seein' how far they can spit
Well it was just another night
And now they're huddled in the brake lights
Of a '58 Bel Air
And listenin' how Romeo killed a sheriff with his knife

And they all jump when they hear the sirens
But Romeo just laughs
So all the racket in the world
Ain't never gonna save that copper's ass
He ain't never gonna see another summertime
For gunnin' down my brother
And leavin him like a dog
Beneath a car without his knife
Romeo says: hey man gimme a cigarette
And they all reach for their pack
And Frankie lights it for him
And pats him on the back
And throws a bottle at a milk truck
And as it breaks he grabs his nuts
They all know they could be just like Romeo
If they only had the guts

Romeo is bleeding but nobody can tell
Sings along with the radio
With a bullet in his chest
And he combs back his fenders
And they all agree it's clear
And that everything is cool
Now that Romeo's here

Romeo is bleeding
He winces now and then
He leans against the car door
Feels the blood in his shoes
And someone's cryin' at the 5 Points
In the phone booth by the store
Romeo starts his engines
Wipes the blood of the door

And he brodies through the signal
With the radio full blast
Leavin' the boys there hikin' up their chinos
And then they all try to stand like Romeo
Beneath the moon cut like a sickle
And they're talkin' now in Spanish
All about their hero

Romeo is bleeding
As he gives the man his ticket
He climbs the balcony at the movies
And he'll die without a whimper
Like every heroes dream
Like an angel with a bullet
And Cagney on the screen

And Romeo is bleeding
Romeo is bleeding, hey man
Romeo is bleeding, hey man
Romeo is bleeding, hey man
Romeo is bleeding
Andele pues
Hey pachuco
Hey pachuco
Hago la lucha!
Dame esa pistola hombre
Hijo de la chingada madre
Ay que pinche pancho
Hey man
Hago la lucha
Hago la lucha
Vamos a dormir hombre
Hey man

$29.00
Little black girl in a red dress on a hot night with a broken shoe
Little black girl you should've never left home
There's probably someone still waitin' up for you
It's cold back in Chicago but the Los Angeles street is worse
All you got is twenty-nine dollars and an alligator purse

See that vulture in the Fleetwood with the chartreuse hood
Sees you're tryin' to get your bearings
Say hey baby which way's the main stem
Wherever you say you're from he'll say he grew up there himself
He gonna come on and make you feel like you grew up right next door to him
Take a left on Central he gonna throw it in reverse
All you got is twenty-nine dollars and an alligator purse

He gonna come on just like a gentleman
And oh baby you're gonna be a little shy
You say your ex-old man was a sax player
He says, Baby I used to play bass with Sly
And you say you like his Cadillac
Says honey I got two or three
Sweetheart you're sure fortunate that you ran into me
You've done a dime in the joint you figure nothin' could be worse
Than twenty-nine dollars and an alligator purse

Got Pharoh on 8-track you start smokin' a little boo
Thinkin' gettin' out of Chicago was just about
The best thing that's ever happened to you
You startin' to like it already this cat seems to be cool
He says Baby I know a good old jailhouse in West-Hollywood
Be just right for you
He ain't no good Samaritan he gonna make sure he's reimbursed
A lot more than twenty-nine dollars and an alligator purse

And when the streets get hungry baby and you almost hear ‘em growl
Someones savin’ a place for you when the dogs begin to howl
And the streets are dead they creep up and take whatever's left on the bone
And remember suckers always make mistakes
When they're far away from home
Chicken in the pot whoever gets there first is gonna get themselves
Twenty-nine dollars and an alligator purse

And the siren's just an epilogue the cops here always get there too late
They always stop for coffee on their way to the scene of the crime
They always try so hard to look just like movie stars
But they couldn't catch a cold
Baby don't waste your dime
She's lucky to be alive the doctor whispered to the nurse
She only lost half a pint of blood twenty-nine dollars and an alligator purse

WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD
Put a dead cat on the railroad tracks
When the wolfbanes blooming by the tressel
And get the eyeball of a rooster
And the stones from a ditch
And wash ‘em down with bilge water
And say you'll never snitch
Take the buttons from a yellow jacket
The feather from a buzzard
The blood from a bounty hunter's cold black heart
Catch the tears of a widow in a thimble made of glass
Tell your mama and your papa they can kiss your ass

Poison all the water in the wishin’ well
And hang all them scarecrows from a Sycamore tree
Burn down all them honeymoons put ‘em in a pillow case
Wait next to the switch blades at the amusement park for me
Strangle all the Christmas carols scratch out all the prayers
Tie ‘em up with barbed wire and push ‘em down the stairs
And I'll whittle you a pistol for keep the nightmares of the blinds
Them sunabitches always seem to sneak up from behind
Siphon all the gas from your daddy's pickup truck
Fill up Johnny's t-bird I got a couple of bucks
Put on a little perfume and wear ribbon in your hair
Careful that you don't wake up the hounds
Tear a bolt of lightning of the side of the sky
Throw it in the cedar chest if you want to tell me why
Bring me the gear shift knob from a 49 Merc
Lay down here beside me let me hold you in the dirt
And you're gonna tremble
Tear the throat out of the night
Sink your teeth into my shoulder
Dig your nails into my back
Tell that little girl to let go of my sleeve
You'll be a woman when I catch you come baby fall in love with me
Then with my double barrel shotgun and a whole box of shells
We'll celebrate the fourth of july
We'll do 100 mph spendin' someone else's dough
We'll drive all the way to Reno
On the wrong side of the road
The wrong side of the road
On the wrong side of the road
The wrong side of the road
Wrong side of the road
Wrong side of the road
Hey baby

WHISTLIN’ PAST THE GRAVEYARD
I come in on a night train with an arm full of boxcars
On the wings of a magpie cross a hooligan night
And I busted up a chifferobe way out by the kokomo
Cooked up a mess of mulligan and got into a fight

Whistlin' past the graveyard steppin' on a crack
Me and mother hubbard papa one-eyed Jack

You probably seen me sleepin’ out by the railroad tracks
Go on and ask the prince of darkness
What about all that smoke come from the stack
Sometimes I kill myself a jackal suck out all the blood
Steal myself a station wagon drivin' through the mud
I'm gonna be whistlin' past the graveyard steppin' on a crack
Me and mother hubbard papa one-eyed Jack

I know you seen my headlights and the honkin’ of my horn
I'm callin’ out my bloodhounds chase the devil through the corn
Last night I chugged the Mississippi now that suckers dry as a bone
I was born in a taxi cab I'm never goin’ home
Whistlin' past the graveyard steppin' on a crack
Me and mother hubbard papa one-eyed Jack

My eyes have seen the glory of the draining of the ditch
I only come to Baton Rouge I gotta find myself a witch
I'm gonna snatch me up a couple of em every time it rains
You'll see a locomotive probably thinkin’ its a train
Whistlin' past the graveyard steppin' on a crack
Me and mother hubbard papa one-eyed Jack

What you think is the sunshine is just a twinkle in my eye
That ring around my fingers called the fourth of July
When I get a little bit lonesome and a tear falls from my cheek
There's gonna be an ocean in the middle of the week
Whistlin' past the graveyard steppin' on a crack
Me and mother hubbard papa one-eyed Jack

I come into town on a night train with an arm full of boxcars
On the wings of a magpie cross a hooligan night
I'm gonna tear me off a rainbow and wear it for a tie
I never told the truth so I can never tell a lie
Whistlin' past the graveyard steppin' on a crack
Me and mother hubbard papa one-eyed Jack

KENTUCKY AVENUE
Well Eddie Grace's Buick got four bullet holes in the side
And Charlie Delisle is sittin’ at the top of an avocado tree
Mrs. Storm will stab you with a steak knife if you step on her lawn
I got a half a pack of Lucky Strikes man so come along with me
And let's fill our pockets with macadamia nuts
And go over to Bobby Goodmanson's and jump off the roof

Well Hilda plays strip poker when her mamas cross the street
Joey Navinski says she put her tongue in his mouth
And Dicky Faulkner's got a switchblade and some gooseneck risers
That eucalyptus is a hunchback there's a wind down from the south
So let me tie you up with kite string and I'll show you the scabs on my knee
Watch out for the broken glass put your shoes and socks on
And come along with me

Let's follow that fire truck I think your house is burnin down
And go down to the hobo jungle and kill some rattlesnakes with a trowel
And we'll break all the windows in the old Anderson place
And we'll steal a bunch of boysenberries and I'll smear ‘em on your face
I'll get a dollar from my mama's purse and buy that skull and crossbones ring
And you can wear it round your neck on an old piece of string

Then we'll spit on Ronnie Arnold and flip him the bird
And slash the tires on the school bus now don't say a word
I'll take a rusty nail and scratch your initials in my arm
And I'll show you how to sneak up on the roof of the drugstore
I'll take the spokes from your wheelchair and a magpie's wings
And I'll tie ‘em to your shoulders and your feet
I'll steal a hacksaw from my dad and cut the braces off your legs
And we'll bury them tonight out in the cornfield
Just put a church key in your pocket we'll hop that freight train in the hall
We'll slide all the way down the drain to New Orleans in the fall

A SWEET LITTLE BULLET FROM A PRETTY BLUE GUN
Well it's raining it's pouring
You didn't bring a sweater
Nebraska will never let you come back home

Now on Hollywood and Vine
By the Thrifty Mart sign
Any night I'll be willin’ to bet

There's a young girl
With sweet little dreams and pretty blue wishes
Standin there just gettin’ all wet

Now there's a place off the drag
Called the Gilbert Hotel
And there's a couple letters
Burned out in the sign

And it's better than a bus stop
They do good business every time it rains
For little girls with nothing in their jeans
But pretty blue wishes and sweet little dreams

And its raining its pouring
The old man is snoring
Now I lay me down to sleep
I hear the sirens in the street
All my dreams are made of chrome
I have no way to get back home
I'd rather die before I wake
Like Marilyn Monroe
And you could throw my dreams out in the street
And let the rain make 'em grow

Now the night clerk he got a club foot
He's heard every hard luck story
At least a hundred times or more

He says check out time is 10 am
And thats just what it means
Go on up the stairs
With your sweet little wishes and pretty blue dreams

And it's raining it’s pouring
And Hollywood's just fine
Swindle a little girl out of her dreams
Another letter in the sign

Now never trust a scarecrow wearin’ shades after dark
Be careful of that old bow tie he wears
It takes a sweet little bullet from a pretty blue gun
To put those scarlet ribbons in your hair

No that ain't no cherry bomb
Fourth of July's all done
Just some fool playin’ that second line
From the barrel of a pretty blue gun

No that ain't no cherry bomb
Fourth of July's all done
Just some fool playin’ that second line
From the barrel of a pretty blue gun

BLUE VALENTINES
She sends me blue valentines all the way from Philadelphia
To mark the anniversary of someone that I used to be
And it feels like a warrant is out for my arrest
Baby you got me checkin’ in my rearview mirror
Thats why I'm always on the run it's why I changed my name
And I didn't think you'd ever find me here

To send me blue valentines like half forgotten dreams
Like a pebble in my shoe as I walk these streets
And the ghost of your memory, baby it’s the thistle in the kiss
It’s the burglar that can break a rose's neck
It’s the tatooed broken promise I gotta hide beneath my sleeve
I'm gonna see you every time I turn my back

Oh you send me blue valentines though I try to remain at large
They're insisting that our love must have a eulogy
Why do I save all this madness here in the nightstand drawer
There to haunt upon my shoulders, baby I know
I'd be luckier to walk around everywhere I go
With this blind and broken heart
That sleeps beneath my lapel

Instead these blue valentines to remind me of my cardinal sin
I can never wash the guilt or get these bloodstains off my hands
And it takes a whole lot of whiskey to make these nightmares go away
And I cut my bleedin’ heart out every night
And I'm gonna die just a little more on each St. Valentine's day
Don't you remember I promised I would write you
These blue valentines
Blue valentines
Blue valentines

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario